Wednesday 11 January 2012

Bob's your Uncle

I was sad to hear on friday that Bob Holness had died - another face from my childhood has gone.

  Bob had a long broadcasting career, but is best remembered as the presenter of Blockbusters the tea time quiz for sixth formers with its famous signature tune, hand jives and the eponymous catchphrase 'Can I have a p please Bob?'

 On the face of it, Bob was a unlikely choice as a host. Rather than a young trendy presenter, Bob was a rather avuncular figure - grey haired, bespectacled and smartly dressed. He reminded me of a kindly old lecturer- a little authority, but not patronising in a Jeremy Paxman way.  



 A girl from our sixth form went on Blockbusters, she didn't quite get to the 'Goldrun' stage but went away with the concilatory sweat shirt and dictionary (like the Blankety Blank cheque book and pen, but more use). I wonder if she still has them?

 For myself, being a Blockbusters contestant was about as likely as dating Madonna, but I did see Bob once, as part of a studio audience when he hosted the revamped 'Call my Bluff', with team captains Sandi Toksvig and Alan Coren (sadly also gone).

 Bob you were an 80s icon - I raise a glass to you, 'Lets play Blockbusters!'


1 comment: